Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Story.

Here I sit with seven weeks until I start work, wondering what to do with my time when an idea struck me like a random tomato hurled by some unseen assailant (luckily the tomato wasn't wrapped in a can, or else I might not be writing this at all). First, some background...

Many years ago I had an idea for 'a story' and a few years ago I started writing it. It's untitled, but I will call it "The Story" for the time being. I have delusions of grandeur of one day being a famous, uber-kool writer dude that sits around all say in funky pajama-bottoms, rad t-shirt and sexy facial hair writing fantastic novels that people just can't put down, and "The Story" is going to be the one that gets it all happening. Delusions aside, I know that writing is hard, and that to get published would be a minor miracle, so this is where "The Idea for The Story" comes in - I will publish it myself. Here, on "The Blog." It's good idea, I think, as I have been really struggling for blog content since I decided to grow up and become all boring and serious and get a new qualification and a real job and all that.

So, I will post "The Story" here bit by bit, and all my blog fans (all four of you) can read it for free - yes, that's right, for free. You won't be one of those poor fools lining up in the rain outside Mary Ryans waiting for your own copy, as you'll already know how it ends (assuming I ever make it that far, of course).

In a previous life (i.e. before I went to Japan) a reasonably famous and very successful local author gave me some great advice - write about what you know. So I have. Those of you that know Japan or me, or both, may recognize a lot of what will follow. For that, I beg your forbearance. Maybe something interesting will pop up somewhere for you. Just be satisfied knowing that you'll be keeping me honest; that is preventing me from taking too many liberties in writing a story set in Japan.

It will all start tomorrow - I know you can't wait. Neither can I.

3 Comments:

Anonymous aki said...

Great, Kurisu!

You encouraged my biggest love of reading since I encounter Haruki Murakami's debut in 1979;-)

-Aki

2:10 PM  
Blogger kurisu said...

Thanks Aki. You like Murakami too? No wonder we are friends! ;-)

8:12 PM  
Anonymous aki said...

Oh, great to know my friend likes my novelist!

Actually I "love and hate" those who called "Haruki-st" but I was too deep in his novels especially early one. I found Murakami at the my teenage and he is still few novelist worth reading for over 30 years. Looking forward to talk about the novels with you over beers, should be awesome!

-Aki

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home